Support services Ratonga tautoko
This website may raise difficult emotional issues and if you would like to talk to a support person, below is a list of some of the telephone helplines or services that offer support, information and help. All services are free.
- Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse Aotearoa New Zealand Support services for male survivors of sexual abuse. Refer to website for the support organisation nearest to you.
- SNAP - Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests Providing peer support for women and men wounded by religious and institutional authorities (priests, ministers, bishops, deacons, nuns, coaches, teachers, and others)
- Alcohol and Drug Helpline 0800 787 797 or online chat for people dealing with an alcohol or other drug problem; 10 am to 10 pm)
- Anxiety phone line 0800 269 4389 (0800 ANXIETY)
- Depression Helpline 0800 111 757 or free text 4202 (to talk to a trained counsellor about how you are feeling or to ask any questions)
- Family Services 211 Helpline 0800 211 211 for help finding (and direct transfer to) community based health and social support services in your area.
- Lifeline 0800 543 354 (0800 LIFELINE) or free text 4357 (HELP)
- Need to talk? Free call or text 1737 any time for support from a trained counsellor
- OUTline NZ 0800 688 5463 (OUTLINE) provides confidential telephone support for sexuality or gender identity issues; 9 am to 9 pm weekdays, and 6 pm to 8 pm weekends)
- Rape Crisis 0800 883 300 (for support after rape or sexual assault)
- Safe to talk (Available 24/7) 0800 044 334, free txt 4334, email email@example.com, live webchat on www.safetotalk.nz. Free and confidential information and support from trained counsellors for people affected by sexual harm in any way.
- Samaritans 0800 726 666
Skylight, 0800 299 100 for trauma, loss and grief; 9am–5pm weekdays
- Suicide Crisis Helpline 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO)
- Supporting Families in Mental Illness For families and whānau supporting a loved one who has a mental illness. Auckland 0800 732 825.
- Victim Support This free service provides emotional and practical support, information, financial assistance, referral to other support services and advocacy for the rights of victims.
- Youthline 0800 376 633, free text 234 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or online chat
- ACC Sensitive Claims Unit 0800 735 566 for treatment of claims related to sexual abuse or sexual assault
- Ministry of Social Development Historic Claims
- Ministry of Education Historic Claims
- Salvation Army
- Catholic Church
- Anglican Church
- Dilworth School (To register as an Old Boy and be kept up to date with developments on their redress programme)