Our inquiries must address the matters in the Terms of Reference; respond to information from private sessions, investigations, written accounts and research; respond to areas of particular concern among survivors, survivors advocates and/or the public; and identify areas most likely to lead to meaningful recommendations.
A case study can focus on a care institution, a setting, a particular theme or kaupapa, a systemic issue or a group of people/s. In selecting case studies within investigations, the Inquiry will apply the four general criteria above, and the following additional criteria:
- Diversity of care settings and subject-matter in each State and faith-based care setting investigation
- The scope (including number and nature) of allegations of abuse, and whether the proposed case study could be an exemplar of abuse occurring in the setting
- Whether a State or faith-based institution appears to have facilitated or failed to prevent abuse
- The likely availability of evidence including witnesses and documentary material to enable close examination of what occurred
- The extent to which there was accountability for alleged abuse
- Recognition and representation of Māori based on Te Tiriti o Waitangi and its principles
- National diversity – geographic range and ethnic, gender, social and cultural diversity should be represented
- Recognition and representation of disproportionately impacted peoples, such as Māori, Pacific, and people with disabilities
- Representation, visibility and participation of people with disabilities, people with mental illness, women and girls, and the LGBQTI/rainbow community in the selection of themes, issues and institutions.
Links to procedural documents, including minutes practice notes can be found here alongside information on core participants.
If you need help understanding any of this information either contact us, speak to a lawyer (if you have one), or consider applying for legal assistance to have a lawyer to help you.
Core participant application form
General Restriction Order